. How long does it usually take youmake a delivery?
2. As a rule, we deliver all our orders within three months after
re ceipt of the covering L/C.
3. Could you possibly advance shipment further more?
4.hope that the goods can be shipped promptly after you get our L/C.
5. Shipment should be made before October，otherwise we are not ablecatch the season.
6. The earliest shipment we can makeearly March.
7. I’m sorry，we ca advance the time of shipment.
8. The orderso urgently required that we must ask youexpedite shipment.
9. We are confident of being ableship the goodsyou by the end of next month.
0. The goods ordered are all in stock and we assure you that the first steamer will make the shipment available in November.
. Please seeit that the goods are shipped per PEACE sailing on or about October 5th.
2. Shipment by the middle of October will be too late for us.
3. We’ll try our bestadvance shipmentSeptember.
4. Whenthe earliest possible date you can ship the goods?
5.wonder whether you can make shipment in September.
6. How long will the delivery take from hereCanada by sea freight?
7.do thinkcan promise you any January shipments.
8. Please be informed that the shipment of the cargo (your purchase order No. 23) was sent yesterday, airway bill No.23.
9. In case you do not receive the goods on or before December 2, please let us know.
20. We will do all we canfill your order so that the goods will be shipped before October 5.
A: Now we have settled the terms of payment. Is it possibleeffect shipment during September?
B:do think we can.
A: Then whenthe earliest we can expect shipment?
B: By the middle of October,think.
A: That’s too late. You see, Novemberthe season for this commodity in our market, and our Customs formalities are rather compli- cated.
A: Besides, the flow through the marketing channels and the red tape involved take at least a couple of weeks. Thus, after ship- ment it will be fourfive weeks altogether before the goods can reach our retailers. The goods must therefore be shipped
before October;otherwise we wo be in time for the selling season.
B: But our factories are fully committed for the third quarter. In fact, many of our clients are placing orders for delivery in the fourth quarter.
A: Mr. Brown, you certainly realize that the time of deliverya mat- ter of great importanceus. If we place our goods on the market at a time when all other importers have already sold their goods at profitable prices, we shall lose out.
B:see your point. However, we have done more business this year than any of the previous years.am very sorrysay that we cannot advance the time of delivery.
A: That’s too bad, butsincerely hope you will give our request your special consideration.
B: You may take it from me that the last thing we wantdoto disappoint an old customer like you. But the fact remains that our manufacturers have a heavy backlog on their hands.
A: But ca you find some wayget round your producers for an earlier delivery? Make a special effort, please. A timely delivery means a lotus.
B: All right. We’ll get in touch with our producers and see what they havesay.
A: It has just occurredme that therestill another possibil- ityensure a prompt delivery of the goods.
B: And that is?
A: How about making Hong Kong the port of shipment instead of New York?
B: I’m afraid we ca agreethat. We concluded the business with you here in Houston, and the goods you ordered are manufactured in New York. We wishpoint out that all orders accepted by us are shipped from New York or Seattle. Hong Kongout of the question.
A: It’s like this. There are only one or two ships sailing a month from New YorkOsaka, while sailings from Hong Kong are quite frequent. If shipment were effected from Hong Kong, we could receive the goods much earlier.
B:see. You wanthave your goods shipped from New YorkOsaka via Hong Kong, where they can be transshipped. Is that the idea?
A: Yes, exactly, becausewant these goods on our market at the earliest possible date.
B: Your idea may be a good one, but the troublethat there are risks of pilferage or damagethe goods during transshipment at Hong Kong. How about shipping them from Seattle instead of NewYork? You may choose either one as port of shipment. It makes no differenceus. There are more sailings from Seattle than from New York.
A: It sounds all rightme, butwill havethink about it. I’ll give you a definite answer tomorrow. Ifchoose Seattle, will it be possible for youship the goods by the end of March?
B: We’ll try our best. Anyway, we assure you that shipment will be made not later than the first half of April.
A: Could you do somethingadvance your time of shipment?
B: Well, our manufacturers are fully committed at the moment. I’m afraid it’s very difficultimprove any further on the time.
A:hope you’ll tryconvince themstep up production.
B: We check their production schedule against our orders almost every day. As new orders keep coming in, they are working three shiftsstep up production. I’m sorry, but we simply can
BUSINESS ENGLISH 300
not commit ourselves beyond what the production schedule can fulfill.
A: Well, in that case, therenothing morebe said. What’s your last word asthe date then?
B:said by the middle of October. Thisthe best we can promise.
A: All right. I’ll take you at your word. Maysuggest that you put down in the contract shipment on October 5th or earlier? Our letter of credit will be opened early September.
B: Good. Let’s call it a deal. We’ll do our bestadvance the ship- mentSeptember. The chances are that some of the other orders may be cancelled. But of course you cannot count on that. In any case, we’ll let you know by email.
4. place our goods on the market 销售商品 ( push the sale of our goods)
5. lose out 输掉，亏本
6. You may take it from me. 我可以向你保证。
7. the last thing we wantdo 我们最不想做的事是……
8. convince your producers for an earlier delivery
9.step up production 加快生产
0. cannot commit ourselves to... 我们不能保证
. Let’s call it a deal. (口)这笔交易就敲定吧（拍板）
2. the chances are…… 可能……（probably）
3. You cannot count on that. 你不要指望那个
4. TPND( Theft, Pilferage and Non-delivery) 偷窃提款不着险
5. for the buyer’s account 由买方负担费用
6. at your end/on your side 在你方
7. Via Hong Kong 途经香港
A Specimen Letter
Your letter of the 5th March camehand yesterday.
Accordingly, we have lost no time in getting in touch with our factories and urged themhasten their delivery. Owingheavy commitments, they cannot advance delivery from JuneApril but they understand perfectly that Julythe selling season for shirts in your market. They eventually agreemake delivery in mid-May.
We have booked the shipping space on S.S.. Peace, whichscheduledsail on or about the 20th of May. We shall send you an email as soon as the loadingcompleted.